Me

Me

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Acceptable one fisted snack

Okay help me out here. Logan is in the 5th grade. At his school, lunch is at 1:15 pm. So 2 days ago the school sent home a letter informing parents what was and was not an "acceptable" snack. The letter stated:

Due to the late scheduled lunch time, the students will be able to enjoy a lite healthy snack mid morning to keep up their energy. The following is a list of highly suggested snacks the students may bring in. These are items that can be enjoyed with one hand while working.

Carrot sticks
Apples (if they are cut)
Celery
Pretzels
100 Calorie Snacks
Animal Crackers
Cheese Its
Cheese Nips
Goldfish
Raisins
String Cheese
Craisins

* Should I send a whole apple and test out the policy?
Absolutely none of the following are allowed:

Chocolate
Nuts
Candy
Potatoes chips
Lunchables
Cheetos
Cheese Curls
pickles
fruit cups
fruit roll-ups
Also anything that requires two hands to eat, a spoon or fork, and liquid.

Okay seriously? Thanks for letting our kids have a freaking snack, but could you make this crap any more difficult?? So day one I get out the celery and thought well that's kind of boring so I will cut it short and put some peanut butter in the middle for my dear 5th grader, so he can regain his strength.

You would have thought I cut off someones arm. Logan comes home from school telling me that she made him throw the entire thing away and she sent home a new letter with the word "Nuts" and "Absolutely No" underlined.

Excuse me? No she didn't. So being me, I emailed her and said why not just tell Logan you know buddy, today I will let you slide, but tell your parents that peanut butter has nuts in it and we can't risk it but no she made him ditch it and go without a snack completely. Hello again I say "No she didn't!!!" I explained very politely that I got the whole nut thing, but if my son isn't allergic and they don't share snacks, why couldn't he have at least eaten it that day only?

She emailed back explaining that "NUTS" are deadly even if only being breathed by someone who is allergic.

I'm sorry so if you are allergic to nuts can you go to the grocery store? Holy crap what if your at Costco and they are handing out celery with peanut butter will you collapse right then and there? What if your Christmas shopping in the mall and Ms. Fields cookie store has not only peanut butter cookies, but peanut butter and nuts? Now what??
Don't get me wrong I've watched my share of TV about allergies, but did she really need to be that way over a simple mistake? She sent home another letter just in case we hadn't paid enough attention to the first letter. Okay so I made a mistake, what the hell --does she want me to flip my card or give up recess??
Meanwhile there are 12 year olds having babies, doing drugs, and God knows what else but she's going to spend two days defending peanut butter and air?? I think a jar of JIF for Christmas is in order.

No comments: