Me

Me

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Does the worrying ever stop?


I thought when my kids were babies, I couldn't wait till they walk, talk, fix their own dinner, drive, etc. During this time, I would worry when they started to walk that they will fall and have to get stitches (Of course Trae and Coty both did that). When they were in elementary school and middle school that they would get teased or whatever it just seemed as though I was always worrying about something.
Well no one ever told me that I would pray those days would come back. Now at 18 and 15 I worry about so much bigger things, I almost want them to be small again. (I did say ALMOST) I worry about drugs, alcohol, GIRLS, driving, peer pressure. Good grief these issues seem so big in comparison to a stitch or two from a fall.

Today Trae and Coty got up at 6:00 a.m. to attend the warpedtour in Columbia MD. A big concert that has many smaller stages with different bands playing at each area. Earlier they were going to a Mosh pitt. Yeah I'm with you. What the crap is that? Apparently it's where you (or us older folks) think they are fighting but really they are bumping into each other and jumping around. In big piles of people. Doesn't sound like fun to me, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

The thing is I was sick to my stomach worrying about Trae driving outside our town (for the 1st time) and having to drive on the beltway. I mean he is my kid and all, which considering I get lost driving to the grocery store I was a tad bit worried he would end up in Michigan. Trust me it's possible.

Then we have the whole concert issue. Drugs and alcohol are always involved and tack on peer pressure. Hang on a second I need to go throw up. So now we have to remember that we as parent's do the best we can and hope for the best. Really that's all we can do but worrying is also apart of it. Lets remember we always second guess ourselves as parents. Did we do enough, teach them enough, allow them to be strong and independent but still hang onto them with a death grip. We want to protect them from bad decisions, pain and suffering.

All I can say is I wonder what state I will be in when they actually move out on their own, get married, have kids. Oh crap here we go again, time to throw up. Life as a parent and the worry that comes with it, will never cease.........

2 comments:

Lizzieborden said...

That is definitely the truth! You never stop worrying. It actually gets worse when they move out and that should be our time to relax right? no it's not, we worry more. Are they eating, are they hanging with the right kind of kids, are they driving safe??? etc. The list goes on trust me.

Janna said...

I have to agree! The worrying still continues like Liz said, do they have food, do they have some place to live, who are they running around with, are they drinking & driving? The list goes on and on. Guess that's what being a parent is all about & loving them no matter what.