Me

Me

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Self Reflection & Compassion

Today was Andy's first day in treatment and I have to say it's bitter sweet. I'm happy that he's there and I know that it's what he has to do to live, but I feel so sad that his life is in this horrible place. Like I said yesterday I understand he did it to himself, but I feel so bad. I wonder to myself why he is so unhappy? Why is his life so horrible? What was it that caused him to make such horrible decisions? How does someone with so much potential turn to this? Get so broken?

You know I have spent hours talking to Andy on the phone in the past 3 months and when I reflect on our conversations I see a man ashamed of everything. A man screaming out for help but I'm sure that he thought no one heard him. Well he was wrong, I heard him and his parents heard him. That I can promise you.
If you read yesterday you know that until recently Andy was not my favorite person in the world to say the least, and his parents had their own heartache with him I'm sure, but again, if we had closed our hearts and minds to him, who would have heard his cry for help?

When Jesus says in the bible the only way to God is through me. He meant it. If Jesus came to you and asked for help only an idiot wouldn't help the son of God, so when someone, anyone asks you for help if you find you don't want to help them, stop for one minute and ask yourself if that were Jesus would I help him/her? If your response is yes and I'm pretty sure it would be, then you know what to do.

"Compassion is sometimes the fatal capacity for feeling what it is like to live inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too."

1 comment:

Christine J said...

I am wishing the best for him and your family. I hope he works through this and sees that there is something more out there for him. It is a hard lesson to learn, especially when you think you are alone, but because of friends and family, and a little prodding, we'll all make it through together.